Sunday, July 5, 2015

A Year in Photo - Day 45 + Okanagan Trestle Tour

I did it, I did it, I frickin' did it!!! I signed Steve and I up for the Okanagan Trestle Tour 40 km bike ride back in February as a long term fitness goal. Due to several factors I didn't get on my bike as much as I wanted and my longest ride was only 15 km, so I was nervous. What kept me going was that the course was listed as being flat for the first 4 km and a slight decline for the remaining 36 km. We went in to it with the thought that we would have a leisurely ride, on a gravel path, at our own pace, it was not a race.

After a 5 a.m. wake up call, for those of you know me, I don't do mornings, and a coffee in hand, we set out to Penticton. Our bikes were loaded by about 8:30 a.m. and we were shuttled up to the Chute Lake Resort; as we drove up I was so tired my eyes were rolling into my head and I was doing the head bob, all I could think of was get me off this bus so I can get on my bike and wake up. After signing in we started our ride around 9:30 a.m. 

Within minutes my anxiety was through the roof and I was scared. The trail was very sandy and quite rocky, something I wasn't used to; I felt like I had no control of my bike. We stopped a couple of times but after 10 km I really didn't know if I could do it. As always, my husband and cheerleader reassured me, we locked out my shocks, which seemed to help, and I literally talked myself through it. I was able to bring my anxiety down by using the tools I've learned working with horses; bringing my energy down to ensure theirs doesn't go up. In this case, bringing my energy down and coaching myself through the sand that was making me fish tail, the jagged boulders that seemed to just pop up out of the ground and having to cross the "centre line", which was worse than the sides, to pass people.

After about 25 kms we came down a hill and I didn't think I would ever be so happy to see paved road, unfortunately it didn't last but the view was incredible. The remaining 15 kms of the ride was filled with stunning views, better conditions, vineyards and orchards. After 2 hours and 4 minutes of riding time (not including stops) we arrived at the Penticton Lakeside Resort.

I am so incredibly proud of what Steve and I accomplished today. He's not just my husband, he's my team mate, always encouraging me and supporting me when I think I can't. I could not have done it without him. 

7:14 a.m. - Unloading our bikes and feeling excited
9:15 a.m. - At Chute Lake Resort, waiting for our bikes to be unloaded off the truck
9:30 a.m. - Off we go!!
10:40 a.m. - Our first view of the lake and PAVEMENT!

So happy to be on pavement, unfortunately it ended just around the corner!

6 p.m. - Whew, this picture is a doozy but with all the excitement we forgot to take a picture at the end of the ride. Home and showered, I was so exhausted I could not keep my eyes open, but it was SO worth it! Nap time!

~  ~  ~

"She was unstoppable, not because she did not have failures or doubts, but because she continued on despite them." -Beau Taplin

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations Chelsey and Steve!! Those pictures of the lake are beautiful Chelsey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well documented!! Way to go! Love you two so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. woo hoo, way to go Chelsey! I knew you would get through it. Looking forward to hearing all about it and finding out what is next on your list! Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone, I'm very happy with how it went!

    ReplyDelete